next arrow
previous

Remember the Rainforest 1

 

Home

Expedition Index

Itinerary

Etchings

Maps

Plants

Animals

People / Scenes

Lessons

Green Girl's Eco Club

Eco SuperHeroes RTR2

Free Posters

Authors / Artists

Contact us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

the leather bags were stuffed in ox-hides (bruacas) (1), which are usually put the

Bruacas

backs of the mules in pairs. The area expert, whom we hired as a guide, took care of the supply of horseshoes and nails. The mule shanks were padded again, and new ones were purchased for the purchased animals. Our weapons were repaired by a Portuguese blacksmith, and we bought a new supply of gunpowder and lead.

During these preparations, we received an invitation from the “Vigario” of Tocaios to visit the village and then the São Miguel Barracks, and observe the Botocudos.

However, as news came to us from a mining traveler who had accompanied Prince Max von Neuwied (2) who had undertaken, with heroic sacrifice, the task of investigating these extraordinary cannibals, we found our effort in this direction useless, and we proceeded on July 4 to the arid region, which, according to information from the people of the place, was a wonderful land, yet equally full of danger.

(I) The bruaca is also called cacua in the Maranhão, and is really rawhide and is intended for the transport of objects that should be protected from rain. The estimation of bruaca is not known (Rev. Note, Inst. Hist. And Geogr.).
(2) Refers to Maximilian, Prince of Wied-Neuwied, who contributed the following works on our country: - "Reise nach Brasilien in den Jahren 1815 bis 1817" (1820- 1821, 2 vols. In-4 ° gr., Atlas); "Abbildugen zur Naturgeschichte Brasiliens" 1823, fol.); "Beitrige zur Naturgeschichte von Brasilien" (1825-1832, 5 vols. In-8 °) and "Brasilien-Nachtrlige und Zudtze" (1850). The illustrious traveler traveled from south to north, always following the coast line, then the provinces of Rio de Janeiro, Espirito Santo and Bahia, reaching Ilheus; then he drove to the borders of Minas Gerais, returning through the hinterland, the city of Salvador (Rev. Note, Inst. Hist. and Geog.).

75