Remember the Rainforest 1
devastated in 1640 and for the second time in 1646. From then on, the city and the bay enjoyed the happiness of peace until the time when it was besieged by the Brazilian imperial troops, when the Portuguese General Madeira occupied it (1822- 1823).
Siege by Brazilian Imperial troops
District of Bahia . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 362,503
The greater population of the county of Bahia is due in part to the considerable number of slaves who work in the 400 mills of the Reconcavo.
In the northern part of this region the maritime villages of Abrantes do Conde, Sao Francisco, and Abbey are particularly populous, with flourishing sugar mills and large isolated farms; the villages of Mirandela, Soure, Agua Fria, Itapicuru and Pombal are insignificant; Inhambupe is the most important of the inner villages of this region. In the neighborhood of the city, particularly the area of Cachoeira Village flourishes. The total mills of this district under the jurisdiction of a special judge was given to us in 1819 as follows:
Freguesias da Vila de Nossa Senhora do Rosario do Porto da Cachoeira
A vila, com Sao Felix e demais depen-
lareiras al mas
According to a handwritten list of Father Manuel Antonio de Souza, a priest from Bahia, contained the captaincy of Sergipe d'El-Rei in 1808, a city, eight villages, four Indian missions and 11 parishes, with the following population:
The four Indian conversational missions are: Our Lady of the Help of Tomar (at the beginning of the Jesuits, after the Carmelites), with 140 Indians; Japaratuba (of Carmelites), with 300; Pacatuba, with 700; and Sao Pedro Island (both Capuchins), with 300 Indians.
The entire population of the above-mentioned demarcations and that of Sergipe d'El-Rei belong to the archbishop of Bahia, erected in the year 1676. They also belong to him.