next arrow

Remember the Rainforest 1



Expedition Index






People / Scenes


Green Girl's Eco Club

Eco SuperHeroes RTR2

Free Posters

Authors / Artists

Contact us




















Departure from Trieste: Travel by Mediterranean Sea to Gibraltar

On April 10, 1817 at two o'clock in the morning, anchors were raised in the darkness and quiet of the night. The sea was calm and we sailed with a strong northwest wind four to five Italian nautical miles per hour. When our fellow travelers at sunrise met on deck, the mountains of Friuli were already appearing in the cloudy blue. Throughout the day most of the travelers, who had never boarded ship before, gathered on deck, and all, with a mixture of joy and longing, stared at the fading country, until, at nightfall, as the motion of the sea grew stronger and the wind blowing in the darkness was refreshing, most wanted to retreat to the cabins. It was quiet at night, but in the morning they were all awakened by the ship's violent rocking. Those whom the seasickness had not removed their presence of mind, understood - by the violent motion, the clicks and the wobbling, that the ship struggled with the rough sea, with groaning of the masts, the roar of the waves, the water rushing, the ship sailing from side to side, as we listened to the hissing whistle of the master's orders - announcing that we had a storm.

Boreas, a cold, very strong northeast wind, which, especially in spring, often blows from the Istrian mountains and the northern part of the Adriatic Sea, had suddenly swept both ships. Only the appearance of a very heavy black cloud would warn our frigate's room officer, so that before the terrible hurricane fell on us, there was time to take down the sails. After a few minutes, the cloud disappeared from our sight near the Augusta, which until then sailed very close to the Austria. Thick fog surrounded our ship; cold rain with hail, which as the storm wind was beating furiously upon us, filled the deck with fist-sized rocks, and soon made the crew cold. The ship was violently thrown from side to side, lintels and swarms were torn and broken; the waves rushed through the portholes of the